Food wholesalers to be taken off shelves in Ireland after Brexit
Irish supermarkets will be taken out of wholesale markets and forced to stock products from overseas.
The move, which is expected to cost the country as much as €1 billion in lost sales, is part of a government drive to boost its food safety.
Under the new measures, wholesale food retailers will be required to store only those products that have been authorised by the Health Products Regulatory Authority (HPRA).
That will mean a number of brands such as Heston Blumenthal, M&M, Muffin & Cookies and many others will no longer be available in Ireland.
The Food and Drug Administration has also issued a statement saying that it is “monitoring” whether these imports are safe.
However, in the meantime, a number other retailers and food brands will be able to sell their products in Ireland, including Tesco, Coles, Marks &.
Coles, Lidl, Marks, Sainsbury’s and Waitrose will all be able sell their food on shelves as long as they are authorised to do so by the HPRA.
It is understood that some food wholesalners, such as Whole Foods, are already planning to take this step as part of the package deal to ensure they can remain in Ireland at all times.
But the move is likely to be unpopular, with food companies concerned about the impact on their profits.
Some retailers have already said that they will be forced to shut down for the first time in more than a decade.
The Department of Agriculture has already said it is in talks with retailers to avoid the impact of the new rule, but there are fears that this could be years away.
This is the latest in a series of steps by the Department of Justice and Health to address food safety concerns.
The first was announced in December last year.
The second was announced on Tuesday.